Sunday, August 29, 2010

Still waters

It's a truth of my life that when there are many things of high importance occuring in my private inner circle of life -- the outer circle of my life becomes livelier with humor and mischief. It's a neat trick of emotional misdirection.

Oh look - funny things! Nothing see here, no need to worry! Move along, folks. No dilly-dallying.

The people closest to me already know the worry or the crisis. The people on the periphery don't need the added burden of care, and so can just appreciate the humor of my own self-distraction.

I've given up trying to decide if that makes me strong or weak. I recognize it as my own method of coping with the parts of life I can't control. I would rather share laughter in hard times than enter a game of one-upping the misery.

No comments:

Post a Comment