Friday, August 13, 2010

Boring thoughts

"I'm so bored!"

"There's nothing to do!"

"That's boring!"

Not so long ago, I thought boredom was a terrible thing. It has a negative connotation - Merriam-Webster defines boredom as : the state of being weary and restless through lack of interest.

These days, I'm starting to see boredom as a luxury item. There's just not time to be weary. Or restless. And there are too many interesting things happening somedays that lacking interest is simply not possible.

Kids with fevers. Multiple software releases in the same month. Emptying a storage unit. School starting. Figuring out visits with family and friends.

Being bored means there's no emotional turmoil or urgent events that require immediate attention. Being bored means that life is calm. The routine is working, and life is about as normal as it will ever get. Today, I think I'd like that kind of boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment