Monday, August 23, 2010

Snowblind in August

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnbYsUIO3ic

I think we're snowblind, we've had a hard time, and we can't see where we are.
Spending our whole lives walking in straight lines, and it doesn't seem to stop.

This is our life, it's all that we get
the days are all numbered, and the nights are all spent
losing our focus, and we're starting to drag,
we're running in circles and we start to feel bad.


Snowblind - Rob Thomas - (C) Warner Music Group

-----------
The poetry of this lyric speaks to my heart, in ways that are not easy to explain. I know what it is to be snowblind, and the metaphor is so very apt for what I experienced when my marriage was failing. Everything swirling around you, until it's impossible to see anyway forward. Eventually the storm passes, but the landscape looks nothing like it did before the snow.

There's wisdom, and pain, and beauty in this song. It's almost hard to share it. My own story doesn't end the way this song does...

oh, but when the night falls down on this place
i will be the one to hold you
when the tears run down your face

but for a long time... I hoped it would. I no longer expect that reconciliation to occur in this life. And perhaps every August 26th, I will remember the frostbite from being snowblind.

No comments:

Post a Comment