Friday, April 29, 2011

Little Heartbreaks

This week... well - nevermind. It was a week, we'll leave it at that.

In this week, I had my children with me on Wednesday because their dad had jury duty. Daughter's blanket got left at day care that evening. If you have kids, and you know about blankies, then you know what a catastrophe that is. By the time she realized where it was, it was too late to go get it. In that night, I learned that hugging your mom is a good substitute for a blanket, but also that having to take your security between homes really makes a child long for the family she remembers - not this "family" that lives in different homes.

In this week, there was a parent's night program at daughter's school. Son sat with his dad and paternal grandparents. We saw each other and waved during the program, and the smile on his face when he saw me was purely joy. Same with daughter when she saw me in the audience. After the performance, I went to give daughter hugs and congratulations. Son, being small, and in the crowd, lost sight of me - and burst into tears because he thought I left without hugging him.

Oh... my heart. I wish I could hold these children close to me forever. I hope that my hugs will always help their heartbreaks.

No comments:

Post a Comment