Wednesday, January 5, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

Once upon a time, I was a teenager. When you are a teenager, it seems as though you must decide what you will be when you grow up. How else will you choose the right college, with the right degree programs? How else will you realize your dream of being ....... something. You know, a grown-up who doesn't have a curfew, and can stay up until 2 am, and has an awesome car and doesn't have to do the dishes on chore night? Because all of your potential future happiness depends on knowing those things, and getting the right answer.

Heh. Teenagers.

I'm a grown-up. Okay, close enough to one. It's that time of year at work where one of the activities is "Goal Setting" where the professional version of me has a chance to write down what I think my personal professional goals are for the year. Guess what? I have no idea - and I'm okay with this. What I'm doing now is nothing like my first guess at a career path - Industrial Design! Which still interests me, but I know my strengths and best skills are elsewhere. It's not even my second career choice - Chemical Engineer! (Honestly, I would hate this.) And it's tangential to my degree - Technical Communications, which, honestly - can cover any industry or field related to science or technology.

What do I want to do this year? Exactly what I am doing - learning, writing, working to create new technology and help others to adopt and learn that it's not scary. I want to challenge myself. I want to grow - so that in another 20 years, I can say again "Wow - this isn't where I expected I'd be, but I love it!"

That's what I want to be when I grow up.... in love with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment