Friday, November 19, 2010

Not what they used to be

Date Nights....

I have vague memories of what Friday nights used to be like - giddy excitement about the weekend ahead, staying up late to watch a movie with friends, getting coffee at horrid times of night, wondering what to wear, or who to do something with. I don't think I miss that.

Actually, I know I don't miss that. I don't want to be that girl anymore. I am in love with my regular Friday dates. We stay up super late, way past bedtime. (8:00 pm instead of 7:30) We watch a movie. (Classic Disney, usually.) We have a sleepover, sometimes on the living room floor, sometimes all piled into the same bed (mine.) I never get enough sleep. I never get enough covers. I never want to change this.


But I know, inevitably, in fewer years than I would like, I will be sitting home on a Friday night, bemoaning the fact that Friday evenings just are not what they used to be, as I watch these same wonderful loves getting ready for their own Friday date nights. I will miss the softly whispered bedtime secrets. I will hope they will still be willing to give me just one more hug and kiss so I won't miss them. But even if they do agree... I will still miss them, even as I let them go.

Oh Friday... you are tinged with bittersweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment